Mitchells Presbyterian Church began around 1844 in Orange County and was known as the Rapid Ann Presbyterian Chapel. On October 18, 1867, the congregation was granted permission by the Presbytery of Rappahannock to organize as Rapidan Church. Due to the rising of the Rapidan River, the congregation from Culpeper County decided to relocate to “this side of the river.” The present sanctuary was dedicated in 1879 and the name was changed to Mitchells Presbyterian Church in 1888.
In the years between 1892-1899, Joseph Oddenino was commissioned by the church to paint the interior walls. He used the technique of trompe-l’oeil (from the French meaning “deceive the eye”).The church is a registered landmark on both the Virginia Historic Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places.
After the death of Dr. Thomas W. Hooper in 1954, the church was served by students from Union Theological Seminary in Richmond.
In 1960, we were yoked with Waddell Memorial Presbyterian Church in Rapidan, sharing a pastor. We built our first addition in 1965, giving us a pastor’s study, Sunday School rooms, kitchen, fellowship hall, and running water. We continued as a yoked field until 1973 when the two churches voted to go their separate ways.
From 1981-1983, we completely restored the sanctuary with grants and contributions from many members and friends.
In 1999, we began another wing that included a larger kitchen, additional Sunday School rooms, larger fellowship hall, and new bathrooms. This addition was dedicated in October 2000.
In 2009, a memorial gift provided the paving of the parking lot.
In 2014, a new Viscount organ and a new sound system for the sanctuary and fellowship hall were given to the church.
In 2017, new choir robes were given to the church.